Jetta GLS 1.8T recommendation?

My first car was a Hyundai Excel which I had for 8 years. My second car was a Hyundai Elantra, which I've had for 4 years. I've had little to no problem with the Hyundai's. Never had them in the shop except for routine maintenance (oil, etc.). In fact the Elantra was hit from behind at about 15 MPH, smashed in the reinforcement beams, but did no other damage. I haven't even fixed it because you can't even tell it was damaged unless you look underneath the rear bumper. But if I get from behind again I'm out of luck - the car is coming through the back seat. (I should get that fixed)

Of course Hyundai's drive like the scrappy, noisy, cheap cars that they are. I'm ready for something better. Something I'll enjoy taking care of because it drives good. I only drive stick. I prefer a good performance engine and durability rather than fancy style. I don't need space in the back seats, but I'm 6'3" 260lbs. so I need to fit in the front. I drive at most about

10K miles per year, most of those miles on highway trips. I don't drive to work, so not a lot of stop and go. I live in the midwest so you get cold and hot, with lots of salt on the roads. Oh yeah, and I don't like American cars (but I'm willing to look at them if one suggests a good model). I was thinking about the following cars:

2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T 5M

2003 Jetta GLI 2.8 V6 6M 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T 5M 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 6M

I test drove the Jetta GLS 1.8T the other day and liked it quite a bit. I also test drove the Passat 1.8T, but didn't like it as much with performance although it was more spacious. I've heard that the Jetta GLI V6 isn't that much better performing engine than the 1.8T. Is that true? But I'm worried about VW reliability. I saw a lot of complaints about the Jetta on

posts, people saying they've had their car in the shop 4-6 times in the last 1-2 years. That really worries me, and makes me think about the Honda Accord Coupe, which I haven't test drove yet, but the 240hp V6 sounds really cool - and Honda reliability, well, you know. Does the Passat have better reliability than the Jetta? What about the GLS V6 Passat, are those good performers?

Can anyone recommend the Jetta GLS 1.8T 5M as far as reliability? Anyone have an Accord Coupe EX V6 6M? Any other recommendations? What about American cars? Anything match up?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alex

Reply to
Alex Lazarevich

Lucky. Never had an Elantra but the 2nd car I had was an Excel and instead of Excelling it was more of an Underachiever.

But anyway...

reinforcement beams, but did no other damage.

Actually that's quite good.

The Passat has slightly less power and slightly more weight so that's probably why it felt different.

than the 1.8T. Is that true?

They're fairly close.

Jetta on

posts, people saying they've had their car in the shop 4-6 times in the last 1-2 years.

Late model VWs have had their share of quirk in the past few years but most of them have been ironed out by now. The shop visits were likely to be the ignition coils failing (many VW models) and the window regulator clips breaking (Golfs, GTIs, Jettas). They've been redesigned and covered by VW in both cases and shouldn't be an issue with brand-new cars which will have the revised parts.

For the 1.8T vs. V6 decision, I myself prefer the V6 version. The 1.8T is a fine engine but in the back of my mind I'd still worry about the possibility of turbo failure long-term, and I like the smoothness and sound of a six anyway. The 1.8T isn't rough, but from the sound of it, it still sounds like a 4-banger. It's not that loud, but for what you hear going on, the V6 just makes more enjoyable sounds to my ears.

which I haven't test drove yet, but the 240hp V6 sounds really cool - and Honda reliability, well, you know.

It's probably a fine car and possibly more reliable, but it will probably also feel rather soulless compared to a VW. For what it's worth, a friend of mine bought a '03 Jetta GLS 1.8T with Tiptronic in June (OK not that long ago) and she hasn't had to bring it in for anything except the first service so far and everything works as it should on the car.

Finally though, since you have an Elantra now, what year is it? Is it like the current ones? I've ridden in a '02 Elantra GT hatch and I gotta say that for the money I'm impressed at what it comes with and it rode nicely and it seems like it's a few steps above Hyundai's efforts of 5-10 years ago. If you haven't been in a current Elantra you might want to give it a try. I'd bet that Hyundai's reliability is probably improved from a decade ago anyway and their warranty is pretty darn good. Not saying go buy one, but you might want to at least consider one.

Reply to
Matt B.

Why a 1.8T vs. a V6? A Passat V6 would be a more fair comparison. (Though the Accord will still have lots more power, of course.) Unless you plan on chipping the 1.8T?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Cool, thanks for the info.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the T. If the T fails, what's left? I'm leaning towards a Jetta GLI V6 (with the 17" tires!)

I've got an Elantra 2000 GLS 5M. It's a 130hp V4. I musta got really lucky because this car has been a workhorse. Now I don't drive that much (31K miles in almost 4 years) , but I do drive hard. I use the lower gears to slow me down, I use the higher RPM's for passing, and it handled that rear end accident really well. I don't think I'd buy another Elantra. I'm ready to get a nicer car. And I'm leaning towards the Jetta GLI. Oh if it wasn't for money, I'd be driving a BMW 2003 M5 (384hp!, oh baby). That's my dream car.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Lazarevich

I have a 2003 GTI with the 1.8T, not your GLS but representative anyway.

Approx 20,000km on it since new last December. So it has seen a winter with lots of snow and slush.

I have had it in the shop a few times, but only for nit-picking things, nothing major. 4-6 times over 2 years doesn't sound all that bad to me, I do that just getting the normal oil-change and regular service.

I have not had any problems with the known issues up to 2002, i.e.:

I have had no problems with ignition coils (although VW has replaced them as part of a pre-emptive recall);

No problem with the power windows (VW redesigned the parts for 2003, I understand). I don't like Air, so my windows get used a lot. Which brings up the point of flow-thru' ventilation is not as good with this A/C equipped car as previous Golfs/Jettas without;

No problems with the sunroof, and I play with it all the time. I have not had any sunroof problems with either of my 2 previous VWs either, no leaks, no rattles. Maybe get the tracks lubricated once a year as part of winter service.;

1.8T goes like stink (enough for me anyway). I went this route because of the "lighter" feel, the torque of the 1.8T, and it was enough for my needs. It still takes gobs of will-power NOT to drive twice the speed limit. And, I just liked the idea of a turbo. I have never heard anyone complain about their VR6 though

I'm only 5'10" but I have a 6'3" neighbour, and he fits with room to spare, and that's with the sunroof using up a bit of headroom;

My only real complaint is a fair bit of squeak and rattle compared to my other VWs. I have been told that is the Sport Suspension, and that is the trade-off (Comments from other GTI/GLI owners)? Added to the extra squeaks from the Thule roof-rack doesn't help.

The only American cars I considered were Saturn and Cavalier/Sunfire, until I drove them (but probably very good choices for someone looking for value for money, fairly good driving, fairly reliable, etc.

Looked at Toyota Matrix (I like hatches), but I find it ugly styling (no flames please, it is a personal thing). There are tons of them around, and I am sure they are a good car, I just prefer the "quieter" styling of a VW. I still think the Jetta is about the best looking cars on the road (in a reasonable price range);

Looked at Mazda Protege and rejected for much the same reasons, although I prefer its styling, found the car "tinny".

And I just downright hate Hondas (Sorry).

Glen in Ottawa maintenance (oil, etc.). In fact the Elantra was hit from behind at about 15

Glen McLean Ottawa '87 Jetta GLI, '97 Golf CL, '03 GTI (Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)

Reply to
Glen McLean

It sounds like you are leaning toward the 1.8T in the Jetta - but are worried about reliability data from places like Edmunds and possibly Consumer Reports? The Passat rates highly in terms of reliability and has a better overall feel IMO. For a big guy like yourself, I would give the Passat some consideration over the smaller, sportier Jetta.

Reply to
AudiAvant

IMHO good idea. Not necessarily because of the 17s but because of the sport suspension. I drove my friend's 1.8T with the standard setup and it's too mushy for my preferences. I rode in a '01 VR6 GLX with the sport setup and it felt like my partner's 3-series coupe...very firm but not harsh and very well controlled.

Reply to
Matt B.

Oh yeah...also note that depending on your preferences, the '04 Jetta got a slight freshening. Got some subtle chrome trim on the bumpers and grille, different rear lamps, and a lip molded into the top of the trunk lid. I like the trunk lip, the chrome isn't bad, and the new rear lamps are "different" but I'm not sure how much I like them. Just something to think about if you want a '03 vs. an '04.

Reply to
Matt B.