2002 Passat 5-cylinder turbo clutch shot

I bought the car new and have driven it for 3 1/2 years. It has 34,500 miles. One a Monday morning the shifter wouldn't easily go into 1st,

2nd, and reverse. So I took to Bob Lewis VW in Fremont, CA and they said the clutch is slipping and $1800 please. I said no because that was a lot of money for a clutch job.

I took it on the road and in second gear, and floored it. Sure enough the clutch did slip. I am not a hard driver and was very surprized that the clutch wore out. The dealership says that VW reps won't talk to me or anyone about a clutch ( I think they have seen this before).

A local shop is doing the repair for $1400, dang thats a lot of money for a clutch job! My Toyota's have all gotten over 100K miles on their clutches so this just burns me up.

My feet will do the walking and it won't be VW; I can't afford paying for repairs at that price.

Reply to
davitusrider

Who else drives the car besides you? BTW, the Passat uses a 1.8L 4cylinder engine which has a 5valve per cylinder head.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Um, did you buy it in another country? There were no US B5 Passats with the V5 engine.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Clutches normally are not covered unless it fails in the first year/12,000miles. VW may/may not pick up the repair during then.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't know any manufacturer that puts any kind of warrantee on the clutch, just as they don't cover brakes wear etc. Those are wear items.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, 34k does seem awfully short for needing a clutch job. Since you're doing it at local shop I'd be VERY concerned about them doing the "right work" not just the "work requested". If that clutch wore out that quickly, and it's not due to your own driving habits (some folks ride the clutch) then I'd want to make sure to fix whatever caused it to wear so quickly. Like a bad cylinder, throwout bearing or something leaking onto the plate. A dealer might be more capable of discovering the real reason for it's premature failure. But then again, a local shop might be just as competent or more so. I'd just stress to them how much I'd really like to make sure the cause of the failure was identified AND fixed. No sense having them do just the clutch plate only to have the real reason wreck the new one too.

Reply to
wkearney99

Well said, the VW clutch kit includes pressure plate, disc, and flywheel on dual mass clutch units. With 170hp it better be quality parts. But then again maybe the non-VW shop just ran down the dealer and purchased all the parts.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I just replaced the clutch kit in a 2001 GTI with only 46K miles on the original. Slipping was there. I could not tell that anything was wrong with the original except that maybe the pressure plate lost pressure. Disc had a sufficient amount of material on it, no oil noted on the surfaces and the owner has been driving sticks for decades.

The new Sachs kit seemed a little too soft/weak for me but it definitely holds.

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1