2002 Passate GLS AC Question Part II

The issue has been going on for a while (smelly air, moisture blowing into the cabin, etc...) for a few days. This morning, the AC started
to make a clicking sound that went away when I turned it off. I turned it back on and heard a belt squeal for a few seconds, then the car stalled.
Now, the car runs fine as long as I don't turn on the AC. Stalls as soon as the AC kicks in if I turn it on.

Hey John,
I saw your other post too just now. The smell very well could be mold growth etc, but you described air restriction and fading cooling performance and generally what sounded like the evaporator icing up (as some other folks also already mentioned).
From this, I would suspect the thermostat on the evaporator has failed and is allowing the system to freeze the evap core. This can quickly steal enough moisture to block air flow (which would make things worse).
Once this happens, the refrigerant which is supposed to be going back gas phase is starting to stay more liquid, and that (unfortunately) will cause your compressor to do the things you're noticing - too hard to turn means slipping belt and stalling engine. It also may quickly cause your compressor to fail.
I would check the thermostat switch - they're suppose to open at like 34F or something. Another cause of misbehavior is if the switch has come free and isn't sensing the evaporator temp. I've seen them typically strapped right to the fins.
Good luck, hope your compressor is OK. I wouldn't run it at all until you can check the switch. -Arthur
John Smallberries wrote:

2002 Passat's don't use a thermostat switch. On the Passat and most other newer VW's the clutch is controlled by monitoring the low side pressure and there's nothing connected to the "fins"! Check your information again. The pressure switch is really just a "in case" switch since the way the system is designed the compressor runs 100% of the time, at least here in Pennsylvania. Maximum air temperature should be in the range of 40-48*. As to why the engine stalls I would say you had a rare compressor failure. Under warranty I presume?
in message

No need to check, my information was only general based on systems used through the 90s! Didn't mean to mislead anyone.
-Arthur
Woodchuck wrote:

Unless your over on the mileage the car should still be under warranty.. Why don't you take it to dealer?