2003 Jetta TDI "Check Engine" light on

Just purchased a 2003 Jettat TDI with 70,000 miles from a private party (engine code ALH). During the test drive, I noticed that the "check engine" light was on. When mentioned to the owner, he told that it had been on since the ECM was replaced 6 weeks ago by a VW dealer. The VW dealer told him that the "check light" being on was a result of the ECM being replaced and that nothing could done.

On the drive home, I noticed that the cruise control didn't work. Per the Bentley manual, there is the following statement, "If the ECM has been replaced on all but the AEG 2.0L engine the cruise control system may need to be activated using a scan tool such as VAG 1551, 1552, 5051 or equivalent." For the ALH, the activation code is 11463.

Are the two problems ("check engine" light on and non-functioning cruise control) related?

If so, can a Snap-On Scanner (MT2500) be used to set the activation code. If not, which scanner can be used? The VW dealer is 60 miles away.

Reply to
Wayne Faas

I say BS to the first statement that nothing can be done. The cruise control can only be turned on with a VW scanner or VAG-COM. The Snap On scanner can be used to interrogate the ECM for the cause of the MIL.

Reply to
LG

"Nothing could be done..." Now that's funny! In any state that checks emissions, it would fail! Someone is not telling the truth, and I suspect it is *not* the dealer.

IMHO, it is likely you've been scammed. I'd suggest calling the seller and asking which dealer, so you can go there and have them fix it right. Bet he can't/won't tell you, because it was not a dealer, but simply a local non VW shop who swapped in the 'new' ECM.

Reply to
PeterD

Drop in on TDI Club, a wealth of knowledge about all things TDI -

If the Snap-On scanner won't activate the cruise control, it definately can with VAG-COM (now called VCDS) -
. TDI Club has a list of people around the country that have a VAG-COM/VCDS and are willing to use it to help others. There may someone in your area that would be willing to do the activation. The site also has a list of trusted TDI shops, one may be local to you.

Todd Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 270,000 miles '01 Golf TDI, silver. (new work car) 232,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles

Reply to
racertod

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

An update - A scanner was borrowed from a parts store and it was determined that the Check Engine Light was on due to error code P0674 (cylinder 4 glow plug circuit). The code was cleared and has not returned.

Therefore, the CEL is not related to the cruise control not working. Will try uploading the activation code next.

Thanks to all for their advice and I have joined the TDI Club.

Also plan on purchasing the VCDS (VAG-COM) scanner/software app from Ross-Tech, once I determine which version I need.

Reply to
Wayne Faas

Get the latest version (with CAN) so that you can sell it in the future and get a high price for it! ;-) Or if you get a later model VW/Audi you can still use it!

My $0.02 One out of many daves

dave AKA vwdoc1