How to tell if 2006 Jetta 2.5 has optional side air bags

My daughter just bought a Jetta.

It has ESP, and I see 3 SRS symbols above the windows on both sides one beside the windshield, one on the center post between side windows and one behind the back seat side window.

But is there another optional side air bag? How do you tell if it is there?

Reply to
Tom Adams

Check the side of the seat-back for an SRS symbol.

Reply to
Stuart H.

I was going to say anywhere there is an airbag there is some sort of emblem or mark in the fabric stating airbag here. On my 2003 Jetta there are airbag emblems on the top outside corner of the seat and all along the pillars. I thought the seat bag marked at the top of the seat exploded forward when deployed.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Crash it and count them when they pop out....just kidding ;)

Reply to
DetailingDude

Would this be accurate for deciphering your VIN to find out if you have side air bags?

Of course it is best to not have to find out that you have them. lol

dave AKA vwdoc1

In the US, the 2006 Jetta had standard curtain side airbags and front seat mounted side airbags. The optional side airbags were rear seat mounted, so check for airbag or SRS labels on the side of the rear seat to see if the car in question has that option.

The owner's manual may also show where the labels are.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee