2009 Scirrocco road test

I want one... but 2800 lbs?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What's wrong w/that?

The 1990 Corrado was 2660lbs. 140lbs weight gain 18 years later is fantastic for a vehicle that provides the standard equipment that we have these days along with the crash protection that we have.

Reply to
Matt B.

None4You

Heh. well, I have a Corrado (inop for the last year, but that's another story) in the garage so I do have some perspective... IMHO the original Scirocco is more pleasant to drive simply because it's more nimble and tossable if not as fast. My immediate thought when seeing the new 'roccet was "man, wouldn't it be cool to find one of those wrecked and drop the motor in a pre-82 car?"

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Considering this is a Mk5 (?) GTI with a somewhat different body (but not radically different), I'm impressed that it appears to be about 300lbs less. Although while it's a good looking car overall, I'm not seeing much Scirocco-ness in it really. Looks too much like a chop-top GTI and not really very fastback-coupé like.

Reply to
Matt B.

Do a search for a picture of the Scirocco & GTi side by side. The rocco is much lower & wider than the GTI.

Reply to
Craig

I agree. The front looks cool but the back needs some serious restyling. It looks like some kind of a honda!

SFC

"Matt B." schreef in bericht news:ind0k.100$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.phx...

Reply to
SFC

Reply to
None4You

I had an 88 16v scirrocco and I just don'r see this as the replacement/nent generation it looks to much golf.

As far as performance , a stock golf is much more then this old man would need,,,,lol

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

2800 lbs is a light-weight these days. It seems like anything under 3000 is now considered almost "dangerous" to drive. Today's cars have a weight problem, and we can all thank our legislators and the industry's adjustments to regulation. If gross vehicle weight had been kept in check since the early 80's, we'd be looking at much better fuel economy today. But no, we have 3200 lb "Rabbits" and Civics which are as hefty as an '89 Accord. Unacceptable, but widely ignored by the public. We won't be seeing too many small 4-bangers anymore, and 2.5 liters will become the norm. Sad.
Reply to
Willie78