2l & oil consumption

Hi-

I'm in the market for a used VW, and have heard that the 2l engine has a bad reputation for burning oil. Anyone know what years were affected? It wasn't at all clear from the google searches I did.

The other side of the question- what engines from the last couple of years have a reputation for reliability?

Thanks for your help, Beaker

Reply to
Beaker

Yes the ARG is the guilty one. I have one, had new rings installed by VW, but it still burns more than I think it should.

Reply to
wjcimbri

How much does it use? Miles per quart!

Reply to
Woodchuck

The average is about 1800 mikes a qt. Would be less on a lot of high speed driving. VW says anything over 1000 miles per qt. is acceptable.

Reply to
wjcimbri

My 2002 2 l Golf got a quart per 2,000 miles or worse when new. Now at

12,500 miles it looks as though I am getting nearer 5,000 miles per quart.
Reply to
R J Carpenter

How does one tell if the engine is AEG or AVH?

tia

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

Are you guys serious? My diesel engine doesn't use that much oil.... I don't typically add any oil between changes, or very, very little.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

We're serious. I'm quite a bit upset that VW thinks they can convince me that a quart per thousand miles in "acceptable" for fairly new cars. IMO they're just trying to define away a problem. Fortunately mine is now doing much better than that.

OTOH, I know a fellow with a New Beetle who has never had significant oil consumption in 3 or 4 years.

Reply to
R J Carpenter

Ford used to be 1 quart every 850 miles. I don't know if this is still the case though.

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

There is a sticker on top of the timing belt cover. Sometimes you can pry back the engine cover a little and see it.

Also, there should be a sticker real close to the spare tire that will have all kinds of info on the car... paint code, engine code, tranny code, interior code. Most of the times the sticker is there.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Reply to
Mike

Thanks!

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

Thanks.

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

My two Escorts never used any appreciable oil between changes, even at

100,000 miles. They were from the 1990s.
Reply to
R J Carpenter

I found the label in the trunk and it appears I have the AVH engine (smile)!

psycho

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

Thanks for the replies- just what I wanted to know!

Cheers Beaker

Reply to
Michael Beacom