40 MPG Passat

I've been able to push my 5 speed 1.8 04 Passat to 40 MPG consistently. I'm just curious what others are getting. David

Reply to
D&LBusch

snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (D&LBusch) wrote in news:Z_7oi.12545$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Under what driving conditions?

My '02 GLS wagon with a 1.8T and automatic gets 35+ MPG when travelling cross-country, out of traffic.

If the weather and traffic are right, I'll get 25MPG on my daily 10 mile (each way) commute, which is 50-50 city streets and what passes for a highway.

In the dead of winter, I'll be lucky if I see 20MPG on the same drive.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Highway driving on various terrain. Some hills - I coast in neutral going downhill.

Reply to
D&LBusch

Jeez, I would expect you would at least turn the engine off going downhill. Sheesh.

Don't baby it, it'll catch up with you.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
D&LBusch

Nope. I'll let both of you find out if you keep your VWs long enough. All the talk in the world won't prove my contention. Has to be experienced. Probably won't happen though. Both of you will probably carbon out the engine internals with your games. Then, buy another vehicle. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
D&LBusch