'78 Rabbit research

Hello,

I am looking for info on my wife's '78 Rabbit. She needs a new brake master cylinder and I am not sure which one to get. The original master cylinder died and was replaced by a family friend years ago and nobody knows if it was the correct replacement part. Of course, the original master cylinder was tossed. so I can't use that as a reference.

Is there a FAQ/website where I can get build data based on the car's VIN?

It does not have power brakes. How much of a pain would it be to convert?

Other than a pad-slap on the front brakes for the VW (premature wear--probably the master acting up), I've only worked on jeeps-- so any info would be appreciated.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

While Rabbits of some models and years did not come with a brake booster from the factory, I believe that boosters were installed as part of a voluntary upgrade program that VW ran for a while. Cars without boosters have the master cylinder mounted on an intermediate tube that's a direct replacement for the booster -- remove the MC, remove the tube, and the booster should bolt right in.

Then your only challenge is getting vacuum to the booster. I don't have a gas Rabbit, so I'm just going by my gas Rabbit book and my gas Fox, but I believe a pretty big vacuum hose goes from the booster to the metal part of the throttle body / intake manifold near cylinder #3. If yours doesn't have a nipple there that's capped off, you might have to tee into some other line... hopefully someone else with more knowledge can chime in here...

Reply to
tylernt

In article , wrote: #While Rabbits of some models and years did not come with a brake #booster from the factory, I believe that boosters were installed as #part of a voluntary upgrade program that VW ran for a while. Cars #without boosters have the master cylinder mounted on an intermediate #tube that's a direct replacement for the booster -- remove the MC, #remove the tube, and the booster should bolt right in. Yes, this has the intermediate tube. Thanks for the info.

#Then your only challenge is getting vacuum to the booster. I don't have #a gas Rabbit, so I'm just going by my gas Rabbit book and my gas Fox, #but I believe a pretty big vacuum hose goes from the booster to the #metal part of the throttle body / intake manifold near cylinder #3. If #yours doesn't have a nipple there that's capped off, you might have to I'll look.

#tee into some other line... hopefully someone else with more knowledge #can chime in here...

Thanks again.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

have you tried a local auto parts store ,as they should have an application book. Or the dealer could provide the correct part number to cross reference.

Reply to
Lost In Space

In article , Lost In Space wrote: #have you tried a local auto parts store ,as they should have an application The local auto parts places have been less than helpful.

#book. Or the dealer could provide the correct part number to cross #reference. That's my last resort. People have responded privatly with a ton of info.

Thanks, y'all...

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong