86 Scirocco 16v won't start

I just picked up an '86 Scirocco 16v. A few weeks ago it would start with a little luck, now it just turns over but won't catch. If I let it sit a day or so it will run for a few seconds on the first try, then stall and not catch again.

The only thing that happened in between was I took apart the air intake/fuel injection box for cleaning.

The battery is charged, and the plugs spark when I pull them out and test them to a ground. I can hear the fuel pump activate when I put the key in and turn it, before cranking it.

Please bear with my beginner's knowledge! Where should I look next?

~ matt

Reply to
mattbagwell

Jim Behning

I double-checked the intake, everything looks ok. Any other suggestions?

p.s. what is the breather hose for - the one that is attached to the air intake (below the filter). Mine is dangling on the engine-end.

~ matt

Reply to
mattbagwell

spark fuel compression

what is missing?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

... fuel it turns out. Some wiring on the read of the fuel distributor (air flow plate sensor?) was faulty.

thanks all for the help.

~ matt

Reply to
matt b