'87 Golf starter motor WORRY

Hello all

I had the starter motor changed about 5 years ago maybe 6 I'm not exactly sure now but it was the first time it was changed since '87 and yesterday I had the first problem I have had with the starter motor. It just clicked and didnt start the engine.

I called CAA (Triple A) and the driver after trying to bash the motor from above with an iron rod with little success lifted the front end of the car up with his tow truck and then went under the car and tapped the motor while I tried to start It, it worked and everything has been fine today but I am now worried of course the motor is going?

I guess I would really like to know is what is the reason the motor works after tapping it, is it a good idea to change the motor NOW and is there any way I can get a good cheap one? 8)

thanks in advance

Michael

Reply to
mkl

flat spots in it I believe...

Reply to
Chris

Ensure your connections are all tight and corrosion free (both at the battery and the starter) Also follow the ground strap from the battery over to the engine/tranny and make sure its good and tight. The jarring 'could' have given enough jiggling to the wires to make it work. If the starter does not get full power from the battery (through good solid and clean connections), it may click (or clunk hehe) and do nothing else. Other than that, yes, a flat spot in the starter unit. Cheaper motors can be found at non-dealers (auto parts stores) such as Canadian Tire, or rebuild places (look under alternators and starters in the yellow pages) Sometimes wreckers have rebuilt units on hand or good connections to some. I know the price at VW for a new starter is pretty dear.

If you have a manual transmission, perhaps learn how to bump start your car in case you are stuck again through this process. Then again, you do have CAA. It is frustrating trying to save some money when the possibility is you could get stranded again. Good luck.

Reply to
Rick De Visser