A2: normal operating temp?

I asked this awhile ago...have since replaced thermostat and radiator and radiator fan switch.

Where does your gauge normally read?

When does the fan come on in relation to the gauge?

Paul '89 Jetta

Reply to
Simplstupd

If I remember back to my 86 scriocco I think the fan came on when the gauge hit 3/4

Now with my Jetta... I'll tell you as soon as I get it outside and running... (its been in a comma)

Reply to
Chris

My gauge normally reads a little left of center and when the fan comes on it's a little right of center (about 2/3 of the way between cold and hot).

Reply to
Matt B.

My 89 Jetta runs a little left of center and the fan comes on when it gets a little right of center.

Reply to
Chris

My A2 jetta comes on when the thing is near 3/4... it brings it back down to half... just ran it.

Reply to
Chris

Both my 88 Rocco and 87 Jetta run pretty cool right now. The coolest they've ran since I bought em actually. My Scirocco is turbo so it has some coolant hoses re-routed in a non-stock fashion and that was causing some pretty bad problems. But, after getting the system purged for the 10th time we replaced the thermo-switch and it's been running much cooler since. Before it would get up to 3/4 quickly and then the fan would come on and save it from warping the head. Now, it barely gets above 1/2 on the water temps in traffic and comes on just above 1/2 and then settles a little below half.

Reply to
PJ4LIFE

Thanks for the replies!!

Reply to
Simplstupd

I have a 92 Jetta 1.8L, 5-speed manual, and the temp gauge has hardly ever worked. I replaced the radiator once, and it worked for a week. Normally the idiot light blinks and the fan comes on normally, the gauge doesn't work. I don't think this is the sensor - probably the gauge cluster (the car is a Mexican Jetta and at 200K the odometer went screwy

- I have 203 K actual miles and it reads something like 467 K now).

Might this just be the cluster?

Simplstupd wrote:

Reply to
USENET READER

Could also be a loose wire. Mine didn't work after a dealer did a repair on another loose connection and didn't plug in a wire related to the gauge again.

Reply to
Matt B.