94 sunbird wont stay running????

Well, my alternator is dead i'm pretty sure, i have a 1200 watt amp hooked up and I dont have a power cap or anything.. If i let the car sit for a day or two, and try to start it, it needs to be jumped. Today, it wouldnt hold any juice and each time i shut it off it would require a jump (even after idling for 30 mins) We unhooked the positive battery cable while it was running, i turned the AC on, and the engine cut right out (I guess this means the alternator is shot). Now, with the battery cables (yes, i triple checked them)hooked back up, it will not stay idling... After barely pushing the gas peddle to keep it running for a while, it finally stayed idling, but as soon as i shifted out of park, it died.. I made it home holding my foot on the gas while I breaked.. Does anybody know what the cause of this is, and / or how to fix it? Ive had oil around my engine for a while (maybe i need a new head gasket??) I don't know much about cars, if someone could please help me out ASAP Thank you, Ian snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
ian05

I would check to make sure that the battery will hold a charge, as I'm sure it's been stressed. The amp in combination with other electrical demands stresses the alt. By the way, is the amp bridged? How many ohms are you running?

Then, once you do get it going, I highly recommend investing in a good cap, and possibly an Optima battery. Depending on how demanding you are on it, and how much time you spend with the stereo on and car off.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

sounds like the battery and alternator is gone, lesson, get a cap

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Well, Thanks for the advice guys.. Later today I am going to put a different battery in the sunbird just to see if it will stay idling. If it does, I guess i need to replace the battery and alternator.. If it doesnt stay running, I'll be back here with more questions :) Till then, Ian

Reply to
ian05

@#$%&* You definitely have a bad battery and by pulling the battery out of the charging circuit you have probably damaged your alt.That is a no no. Have your batt load tested and have the alt. output tested only way to know for sure.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud