88 Passat High Idle

I've got an annoying problem with my old 88 Passat (B3, 1.8L, Sedan), we changed the timing belt and ever since it's idling at about 2100 rpms.

It seems to climb from lower rpms when cold and when hot stays at 2100 - otherwise everything else seems normal.

I've changed the spark plugs, ignitation cap, rotor and cables, oil, oil air and fuel filter (about time to do it anyway) and left the battery off for a full night to reset the computer - still no result...

There are threads here and on VWVortex but they all seem to be about more modern (and computerized) models.

Any ideas what to check/change next?

Khay.

Reply to
Khay

Check all vac. lines. Also check the idle valve. It's just air bypassing the throttle valve. Last but not least, check ignition timing.

SFC

"Khay" schreef in bericht news:HJadnZZYNKu-rEvfRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
SFC

The timing I've looked at, but I'll have a go at the "idle valve" - if I'm able to find it in my Hayes book - thanks for your input!

Khay.

Reply to
Khay