License Plate Light Dead, Failed Inspection - Replaced Bulbs, Nothing - Now What?

Went to the freakin state inspection in NJ yesterday. This is on my 90 Golf. It fails on NOTHING except the freakin rear license plate light. For those that have had to endure a NJ auto inspection, you have not had the pleasure.

Regardless, I replaced the bulbs, no joy. Nothing. Pulled the driver side panel in the trunk off. Found the wire for the lights measured it with a multimeter come from the front. So its putting out juice. So I figure its the blasted harness in the hatch. Most likely a wire is broken in the rubber boot going up into the hatch.

Is there anyway I can test the wires up there without ripping off the insulation? Someone mentioned using a pin with the multimeter and sticking it into the wire.

Anyone have any ideas?

I really dont want to pull the whole dam harness out. Have to remove the speaker deck panel, the real seat belt, the wiper motor, etc....

Dont want to go there.

Reply to
John W.

Well you could try moving the wires around to see if there could be an intermittent failure. Most likely place for that is where it bends each time to boot is opened.

However I am going to suggest you take a look at the other side. Check the ground.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What he said. Make sure you've not only got positive to the light but that the ground is reliable.

Reply to
wkearney99

The pin works, but a small needle is better. Get a small one. Sharper and stronger than a pin.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

And the suggestion about checking the ground is a good one. With the meter, check that you don't have voltage between the outer part of the socket and a chassis ground.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

... with a bulb in that socket and the lights on.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I recently had to replace all 4 side marker lightbulb sockets in my 1988 Cabbie. They just refused to make good electrical contact.

Reply to
Papa