Identifying Cabriolet replacement water pump

Good morning! I have an '89 Rabbit Cabriolet (1.8, SOHC, set up fo

a/c) and have a leaking water pump (unless, by some stroke of luck, i turns out to be a hose connection at the pump!)... My question: I there a way to determine the type of water pump (the parts stores see to list four, varying from a 30mm to 40mm hub and different bol patterns, etc.) used upon this year and particular engine (short o actually removing the covers and pump, etc.)? I realize this is no the ideal way to go about it but with funds being quite tight, th pumps not being in stock (thus the need to know which pump i particular) and not having alternative transportation to use while th car is down, I'd like to be able to identify and order the correct pum before taking everything apart. Is this a pipe dream? Thanks for any help in advance! Johnnie - Clarksville, T

-- Johnnie

Reply to
Johnnie

According to germanautoparts.com there is only 1 pump (though different packaging). Looks like a 30mm hub. I also have an 89 cab and have ordered a bunch of parts from them (they are fast, the parts always fit, and great). Parts always come the next day to MA. Dave

Johnnie wrote:

Reply to
David Sykes

Ah, thank you very much! It appears the entire assembly they offe will be the way to go... I appreciate the info and link

-- Johnnie

Reply to
Johnnie

Yep spend the extra $19 you will save yourself the pleasure of snapping off the old waterpump cover bolts. The housing bolt are big enough that you have to try really hard to snap them.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Haare