90 Golf automatic problems

I have a 90 Golf automatic. Up till today the automatic was working fine, no slipping or anything. Then when driving it today, it stalled and when I started it again, and put it back into drive it would not even move at all.

1 ,2 and D will not work. I put it into reverse and drove home (i wasn't to far away). Any ideas what this can be. How can I check to make sure the auto is getting switched into drive properly, could it be the cable? I wouldn't think its the auto because up till that moment, it was working fine. TIA Darren
Reply to
Darren