90 golf questions

I just aquired a new to me a2 golf with dig2. In the past i had an 84GTi, an 89 Jetta, and a 90 fox(and the air actually worked!) so I am a bit familiar with them. The car has 195kms (122k miles)

First oil consumption... the previous owner told me it used some oil and he currently had 20w50 in it. (ambient temp these days is around freezing). It doesn't seem to be leaking it or if you follow the car burning it. At idle you can see blue smoke once it warms up. The pcv system has lots of oil in it so I plugged the intake side and vented the valve cover breather to atmosphere for now as an experiment. I changed the oil to 10w30 also to see what happens. Any ideas?

I think the t-stat is stuck open or removed... the guage just barely comes over the cold mark. I have done this job on my old rabbit, but the rabbit didn't have air or power steering. What is the easiest way to change the t-stat? Dont want to remove stuff I don't have to.

Found a few broken grounds.. that really helped. Idles rock steady at 750 now.

Champion plugs with some sort of iridium electrodes are in this thing. Any thoughts? Champions are for lawn mowers I thought.

Finally, where can I find an affordable proportioning valve for this thing. Dealer wants 300 for one.

Thanks for all your collective help.

will

Reply to
will

It's likely to burn more oil with 10w30 than 20w50. Maybe just run it through (since it's a cool/cold time of year the thinner oil probably isn't a big concern until spring or summer, plus with a stuck open thermostat your engine is running cooler too anyway). But next oil change switch back to

20w50 or even 5w30.

Sounds like it...my '91 GTI had the same problem. Don't know how to change it though...I had it done by my mechanic. But most likely the thermostat is your issue there.

Reply to
Matt B.

Pickup a Haynes for the procedure. The risk is snapping off one of the bolts holding the thermostat housing on. Otherwise, you have to get the ps pump out of the way (4 bolts) which means loosening the tension on all the belts. Replace them while you're at it...it's not a fun job. If you do happen to snap off one of the bolts in the thermostat housing, you should remove the water pump and housing to work on it.

Is the car Canadian? Canadian Tire sells Champion plugs. Nice and cheap.

Idle air stabilization valve? Why do you need a new one? Where are you located? What's the part number on yours?

Reply to
Darryl

Thanks guys I had a 325i that I tried running 20/50 in it. It burned oil like crazy until I changed back to 10w30, then it was fine again. Both synthetic. The theory is that the rings cannot scrap the oil off of the cylinder walls on oil that thick and it burns. Time will tell.

I have a haynes manual and it explains how to remove the thermostat in a car that doesn't have air/pwr steering. I have done this job before on my old GTi. I am asking if I have to remove the power steering pump and the ac compressor to get at the housing.

Darryl, a proportioning valve controls how much braking the rear wheels do depending on the load.

Thanks

will

Reply to
will