'90 Jetta - how much is it worth?

I'm contemplating buying a 1990 Jetta GL with 165k miles on it. California car. New brakes and new clutch disc. How much is a reasonable price to pay for it?

thanks

Reply to
ahmed

I dunno about California cars, but i wouldn't pay anymore than $1000 for it unless it was in immaculate condition... check out

for prices

Reply to
VWGirl

I was offered an A2 jetta of unknown year with new starter, CV axles and several other parts ($600 total in new parts)... with a straight rust free body and BBS rims for $200 in Florida...

Reply to
VWGirl

It must be nice to have such cheap cars in the U.S.....that car up hear, assuming it was a one-owner, good condition vehicle would easily fetch $2500

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I'd pay $1300-$1500 for the small bumper version and $1700-$2200 for the big bumper version, if everything's in good working order and it's not rusty. Unless it's got all the electronic goodies because, in that case, I wouldn't buy it at all (GL's rule!).

TOE

Reply to
TOE

I have a '90 Late model GL Wolfsburg.....Big Bumpers, Central Locking, Power Windows.....yeah....GLs ROCK!

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I live in Guelph, and the cheapest Jetta in like condition to my '90 GL Wolfie is at least $3500

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I got my Wolfsburg edition in 1999 with 214,000 miles on it for $1200, now it just passed the 250,000 mark.

Reply to
Benjamin Zhou

That is reasonable for a low mileage car in good condition.... however the car itpst as 1 in front of that #...

Peter is just out to make me look bad anyhow... So I just ignore him... He wants to be right on subjects he knows little about.... I posted the link for kbb.com... what did they say? probably close to $1000...

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Rob, ignore Lauren...she likes to think she knows what she is talking about....btw...is your Golf a 1.8 Digifant, by chance?

Considering

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Oh yea... 1.8 Litre digifant with 100 horespower and 107 lb-ft of torque.... I don't know how it does it, but it feels so much faster then the numbers suggest, I love it... needs bigger wheels tho, 14" Carat wheels I think.... only has the 13" steels right now

...... as far as you and VW Girl go, you seem to have your issues, I think I will just listen to both of you. I have never noticed any talking out of your ass from either one of you, so I respect both of your opinions.

As far as her saying A2s are cheap where she lives.... well as you and I know, around southern Ontario old VW's are priced in line with precious metals :-).... I stand a better chance of buying a NEW Japanese compact (like a Mazda 5... nice machine I must say) then even buying a USED VW from a few years ago. I have seen 1997/8s that are way more then 15000... early

Reply to
Rob Guenther

A2 VWs sell in the 3-4000 range here with around 80k miles on them... my friend sold her 96 golf with 89j miles for $1500 though :(

Reply to
VWGirl

WOW, is that American or Canadian? But wait, are you meaning A3 VW's are selling for 3-4000? A2 is 85-92, A3 is 93-98/99

Thats alot of money for an A2!

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

yup... that was trade in value.... but you can go to the used car dealer and buy them for $3000

Reply to
VWGirl