91 Jetta - Fresh Air Blower resistor assembly

Subj: 1991 Jetta (Mexico) 1.8L gas RV-engine config.

One of the speed positions for the air conditioner/heater blower motor doesn't work. I'm guessing maybe the resistor divider network is bad or loose, but where is it located on the firewall? I know where the rotary speed control is, and where the Fresh Air Blower motor is, but not the resistor assembly. I really don't want to tear the whole console apart searching for it!

Thanks!

Reply to
Jim Lacko

It's mounted on the air box behind the glove box. Which speed is dead?

Reply to
Woodchuck

The rotary switch has four positions: 1,2,3 (defrost hieroglyph) and 4. 4 is dead. BTW the air-conditioning has never worked since I got the car -- could this position be defeated if the air-conditioning refrigerant is gone? My Golf Fresh Air Blower continued to work on all positions when the air-conditioning failed, but maybe it's not the case with Jetta's?

Thank you for any ideas...

Reply to
Jim Lacko

At the highest fan speed, the current does not go through the resistors, so they would not be the problem. Most likely the switch is at fault. This can be tested easily, there should be 5 wires going to the switch:

Brown/White (supply) White ("1") Green/Yellow ("2") Black/Green ("3") White/Red ("4")

Your wire colors may be different, VW used different colors for different years/production site/ model (Golf/Jetta)

Unplug the wire harness from the switch and short together the Brown/White and the White/Red wires. The fan should come on full blast. If it does, the switch is your problem. There is also a junction where the White/Red wire from the switch and the White/Red wire from the fan motor meets the White/Red wire from the resistor pack (don't know where it is located, follow the wires from the fan motor). If this junction has loosened up over the years, you could loose either a) the highest fan speed, b) the three lower fan speeds or c) all fan speeds.

The refrigerant low pressure switch locks out the compressor clutch, but does not affect any of the fan speeds.

Jim Lacko wrote:

Reply to
Randolph

:) I have the same problem on my Girlfirends car, I never looked into it, as 1 2 and 3 were enough for here. thanks for the tip I will try a spair switch I have. I looked at the fuses, but thats about as far as I wen't in trouble shooting it :)

Dan From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
admin