92 Golf Rad fan sensor

I think I fugred out the purpose of that little sensor thats stuck in the side of my block, well was. Now that it's getting warmer, I've noticed that if I'm driving and I have to stop for a while, if i let the engine idle, the temp starts creeping up. I'm starting to think that switch controls the rad fan but I'm not sure. If anyone knows where the fan switch is on the 1.8 Digifants plz let me know, I gotta fix this before it gets hotter outside

thanks

Reply to
Casius

bottom of radiator battery side, you will find the radiator fan switch. It operates the rad. fan at possibly two speeds.

There are other reasons why the rad. fan won't come on. fuse relay wiring fan motor cold area of the radiator at the switch ???

I usually pull the plug for the switch and jump the terminals to make sure the fan comes on at both speeds. If that works I check the temperature of the radiator at the switch. ;-)

Of course the water pump, thermostat or poor tune of the engine could cause problems too!

dave

Bottom driver's side of the radiator is where it is. The one on the side of the head is something else (I forget what...but it ain't it). It's a cheap sensor...did mine last year and it was inexpensive.

If you have A/C, turn that on and see if it makes the fans turn (fans usually will cycle on and off with the A/C running). If so, you can use that in an emergency to get the airflow going in stop-n-go traffic until you get the real sensor fixed.

Reply to
Matt B.

Hey, I went to further investigate on the car, and I found a little cube at the top of the rad, directly above where the fan sensor is. Is that the relay? it has 4 terminals and I just noticed that one of the terminals is completely rotted through, well the wire is rotted right at the connection. I tested the fan and it works just fine, I also shorted the rad sensor but got nothing... to be honest I dont know which way to short it so I tried a few combinations, but nuttin... I'm gonna check my fuses and get a new relay, or whatever it is.

thanks for the help

Reply to
Casius

That is indeed the fan relay, if I'm reading your description correctly; I almost started an electrical fire (got some nice smoke) when I went to check on mine and the relay holder disintegrated in my hand. Be careful, one of those wires is +12v constant (i.e. not ignition-switched).

Reply to
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

excelent thank you for the help, and ya i think i found out the hard way as well, i was screwin around with it and got zapped pretty good by it :).. live and learn i suppose :)

Reply to
Casius