Metro blowing fan fuse

I have a Metro that keeps blowing the fuse on the cooling fan when the fan tries to cut in.

If I short the two wires that are connected to the thermostat switch the fuse blows.

On a run, if I get stuck in traffic and the temp starts to rise the fuse will blow. What should I be looking for to try and sort this problem out? (No not a different car)

Thanks CU

Reply to
CU

Jammed/ knackered fan?

Try connecting a couple of wires direct to the fan, see if it turns. If it doesn't, there'll prolly be biggish sparks, and you really don't want to leave the wires connected for long either!

If it does spin properly, then you can start tracing the wiring back till you find a short or something.

Reply to
Stuffed

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (CU) contains these words:

Can you spin the fan with your finger? They sometimes stick and this'll blow fuses. Occasionally it's 'cos you've rammed something and pushed the radiator into the fan! Failing that - check it by running a couple of wires to it from the battery - only for a second or two 'cos if it's stuck it'll melt the wires!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Stuffed" contains these words:

Ha! Bloody rays. I'm off to find my ally hat.

Reply to
Guy King

I should have mentioned that the fan is turning freely, the problem seems to be in the wiring between the switch and the fuse, and I am not too sure about being able to trace where it is.

Regards CU

Reply to
CU

You could bypass the wiring quite easily, use a couple of bits of wire to directly connect the fan to the battery, if it works then rewire from the fan switch to the fan and the other wire from the fan to earth.

Reply to
mrcheerful