92 JETTA Radiator Fan

Can anyone help with a radiator fan that stays on forever after using AC and the engine is switched off. If I unplug the relay on the radiator cowling, it goes off and stays off when I plug it back in. I have changed the relay but the same thing happens?

Any ideas would be welcome.

David Abineri

Reply to
David Abineri

Sounds like you have a short circuit between one of the relay contacts and one side of the relay windings. I don't have the wiring diagram for the 92 Jetta, but it is probably similar to the 87 GTi found here:

The A/C turns on the rad fan in two different way.

  1. Whenever the A/C is on, the rad fan comes on at low speed.

  1. If the refrigerant pressure gets too high, the rad fan is turned on at high speed.

There is one relay for each of these two functions. You need to find which is associated with the problem.

If you start the engine, turn on the AC for a few seconds and then turn it off and then turn the engine off, does the rad fan stay on now? If so, the problem is most likely around the "Low speed radiator fan relay" to the left in the above referenced drawing. Look at the wire harness leading up to the relay. Is there any sign of a short between the wire going to 14/86 (GY/W) and either 15/87b (GY/BK) or 13/87 (GY/BK)? You can check with an ohmmeter or test light. Unplug the wires from refrigerant low pressure switch (there are two pressure switches in the A/C lines, unplug both if you are not certain which is which). Measure for continuity between 14/86 (GY/W) and 13/87 (GY/BK) at the the relay connector (relay removed). There should not be continuity. Then measure for continuity between 14/86 (GY/W) and 15/87b (GY/BK). Again, there should not be continuity.

If the rad fan did NOT stay on in the above test, you need to look for problems around the "High speed radiator cooling fan relay (near fan shroud)" to the right in the above referenced drawing. Check for shorts between 4/86 (BR/W) and 8/87 (BR/Y) in the wire harness leading up to the relay. You can also measure for continuity between those two wires with the relay removed and the high pressure switch disconnected. There should not be continuity.

Note that VW had a habit of chang>

Reply to
Randolph

Thanks for the details on the relays. Where is the low speed relay located?

Thanks again, David Abineri

Randolph wrote:

Reply to
David Abineri