92 Passat Chugging/Stalling

I've got a 1992 Passat that will sometimes chug while in any of the drive gears unless you're going over a certain speed. It makes a thrumming sound and you can feel it chug, sometimes enough to make it stall. It does not do this in neutral for some reason and is worse in reverse.

I've checked for air leaks/problems in the fuel system and there doesn't seem to be any.

Any ideas?

Anna

ps...anyone know where to get interior trim parts for a 92 Passat? This one is missing a few things like window/door handle trim.

Reply to
callmehero

Have you checked the engine "tune" lately? Check the timing belt for proper timing. If it has over 40K miles on it....replace it! Check all ignition components and filters. Check the distributor ignition and knock sensors. Check the Carbon mOnoxide (CO) and adjust the fuel distributor mixture. Check the Coolant Temperature Sensor for the Fuel Injection. Check that Air Valve by the Intake Manifold for proper operation.

got the Bentley for your Passat?

later, dave (One out of many daves) '91 Passat auto.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'll be ordering the Bentley tomorrow, usually my first order of business when buying a new (to me) car but this time I haven't been able to find one except online.

Man, this Volkswagen is so much more complicated than my 85 Dodge 600 it's unreal. The fuel system on the Dodge consists mostly of one hose, a vent and a tiny little TBI.

Are the fuel systems in Passats as touchy as it sounds like they are?

Thank you for your suggestions, I was really at a loss once I actually looked under the hood. Not only is this the newest car I've ever owned but it seems like Volkswagen likes to cover up all the 'ugly' stuff to make it harder to identify where things are.

Anna

Reply to
callmehero

amazon or ebay for the Bentley.

If you think your 1992 Passat 16V engine fuel injection components are touchy or complicated then you should check out the later model VW engines. Touchy............I would say not really, but there are many components to it. Maybe something minor is wrong like just a sensor for the coolant (FI).

I have spent quite a bit last year getting my '91 Passat right, radiator, cyl head gasket, exhaust downpipe, cat. conv., heater core TWICE since the aftermarket one stunk, water pump and probably a few other things I have forgotten about. I call mine the 'Money Pit'! lol BUT it has ALWAYS run good and strong and has never stranded me except the time I needed to replace the ign. distributor on the road. hehehe

My suggesti>> Have you checked the engine "tune" lately?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1