92 Passat Temp Gage

Just got my bomber back from VW after having a lot of engine seal work done on it. The service rep and I and the mech discussed a problem with the readings on the temp gage. They put a new thermostat in it and the water temp is right at about 195F. The gage, on the other hand, reads just a hair above 230F at this point. They had also put in a new temp sender and tried a new gage, but the higher temp still registers.

After a long steady run (450+ miles at 70mph mostly, heater slightly on due to a chilly Minnesota morning), the temp still shows about a half needle width above 230, but doesn't go higher, no apparent overheat from the engine. Engine cooling fan cycles for a while after shutdown and seems normal.

The next thought is to lay in a separate lead from the sender to the gage and see if that changes anything. The instrument panel did have to have some solder points remade a month ago ( both the fuel and temp gages were intermittent), but the resistor that is part of that circuit was not replaced - should it have been? Or would that effect the temp gage?

Anyone run into something like this before?

Ed

Reply to
Edvardo