93 Fox intermittant no start

Maybe someone can help with my other major problem. Sometimes when I turn the ignition switch to start I have no spark. Usually after 3-4 tries it will fire. Once it's running it keeps running. Using my Haynes manual I connect a test light to the red terminal of the coil: light comes on when ignition switch is at "on" position. At start the light either goes off (no start) or engine starts and the light will flicker. I'm thinking the worst and guessing it's the DigifantII computer.

Reply to
foxstreetblues

Ignition switch is intermittent. Replace.

Reply to
Simplstupd

Thanks I think you've nailed it. It seems that if I turn the switch rapidly it starts everytime. Do I have to pull the steering wheel and tear apart the dash to get to that ignition switch?

Reply to
foxstreetblues

yep you need to pull off the steering wheel. Mark it's position with the shaft so you can easily reinstall it in the same position. Then the lever switches (turn signal, wiper, etc) and then the press on sleeve on the steering shaft. Then the ign switch housing comes out. Hardest part is that sleeve that must be pulled off with a tool. :-)

have fun!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1