95 GTI Radio Wiring Problem after heater core replacement

Replaced my heater core this week on my 95 GTI VR6 after 140K miles. While the dash was out did a little "cleaning" of the rats nest under my dash. Reconnected everything and tested all the electrical - except for the radio which was stupid - put the crossbeam member back on and started to put the dash back together. Plugged the radio back in and I only get the flashing red light on my stock Clarion head unit but the unit does illuminate. Pulled everything back out and checked the wiring connections - everything seems plugged in fine. Starting to drive me a little crazy so bought a multimeter and started testing connections to the radio. Ground test was fine but do not get 12V at the red/white and brown/red connections. When key in should there be 12V at red/white and brown/red or should they act like a ground (continuity test). There is 12V red/white at the alarm unit as well as the rest of the system - haven't tested brown/red yet. Want to get this done as its driving me a little crazy!!!!! Any insight would be appreciated.

Reply to
Stephen Timinski

Blown fuse at the fusebox? Blown inline fuse?

Reply to
Papa

Checked the fusebox and fuses look fine - Have to go over everything today and check to make sure everything is plugged in - don't get power to cig lighter red/white either or tailgate release so theres a connection screwed up somewhere. Heater core was a breeze - VW electrical and wiring harness is a major pain!!!

Reply to
Stephen Timinski

I have an '88 Cabbie. One of the fuses for my car protects power to 4 things: the radio, the clock, the interior lights, and the cigarette lighter. I did a rewiring job recently for that circuit, and just because I didn't use conductors that were big enough, it kept blowing fuses. After correcting that mistake, all was well. As you say, tracing wiring problems is a pain.

Reply to
Papa

I have never heard anybody say anything close to that before.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

just changed mine... and no... no breeze there at all...

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Heheh!!!! I guess the OP feels labor is easier than troubleshooting wires.

Reply to
Peter Parker

No it really was after reading some very detailed instructions on

Would have been a problem if I didn't know where the nuts holding the heater box to the firewall. Didn't have to discharge the ac as bentley suggests just took my time and felt around for the backside clips and removed them with a flat screwdriver. Basically it only took about 2

1/2 hours to remove everything and about 1 hour to put the core back in and redo the crossbeam.The only problem I had was removing the two shear bolts holding on the crossbeam - which was the most time consuming out of the entire project as I had to run to Home Depot for a cobalt bit to drill them out. Removing the ton of bolts and screws was a little time consuming (but an electric screwdriver helped) and I expected a hard time removing the heaterbox clips but they all came off and were a snap to put back on without any broken plastic. The flush was performed the weekend before and since I had bypassed my core there was no need to reflush.

What I could use is a little help with the fusebox connectors (yellow, black, blue, green and white) that sit on the fusebox. When I pulled the crossbeam I decided to tidy up the wiring rat's nest and I pulled out the connectors to untangle the harness. Thinking everything was color coordinated I plugged them back in.

What I'd appreciate if any 95 GTI owners would have is what wires plug to where - plugged all my grey/blues and blue whites together (both three) and plugged the black/yellow (2) but have problems with my greens, blacks and whites - need to verify the number and connectors. Also in the mix is a odd black/blue and black wire with a green plug small plug that goes into which block the green or the black? The wire is solid black.

Seriously I checked the circuit to the radio and cig lighter a few times with a multimeter and I get continuity but no 12V in the red/white wires. Unless my connections are really off or I fried the alarm module or computer which gets and puts out 12V on the red/whites something is really messed up on the fusebox or I'm missing something somewhere.

I'd really appreciate some help on this one - any insight would be helpful.

Reply to
Stephen Timinski