Clarion Radio Cassette Wiring Info ..... ?

Hi,

I purchased a 1992 Peugeot 405 GL recently. There was no radio in the car but when I took delivery of the car, the radio cassette was in the boot.

Details of the radio cassette are as follows:- Serial Number - 0172516 Part Number - 97001e Product Number - PU-9318A

The wires on the back do not have any type of connector fitted to them it is impossible to see how they fitted to the car's wiring loom (big black multiway connector). There is also a 3 wire terminal block in the radio compartment of the car.

Can anyone please offer any advice as to how to wire it up please ..... ?

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

View my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

It sounds like someone may have cut off the connectors from your radio to help fit a different radio to another vehicle.

I have a clarion unit from a 1994 peugeot which may follow the same colour code as yours that I will describe. The multiway connector it uses has two sides, one which contains all the speaker cables the other contains the power cables. Each side has eight terminal positions (they are not all used on the power cable side).

There are eight speaker wires (four pairs for front LHS/rear LHS/front RHS/rear RHS)

(1) grey with red stripe - speaker rear right (+) (2) grey with green stripe - speaker rear right (-) (3) grey without stripe - speaker front right(+) (4) grey with black stripe - speaker front right(-) (5) white without stripe - speaker front left (+) (6) white with black stripe - speaker front left (-) (7) white with red stripe - speaker rear left (+) (8) white with green stripe - speaker rear left (-)

These wires are positioned as follows looking into the mating side of speaker side of the the radio connector.

|--|

--| |-- | | | 2 1 | | | | 4 3 | | | | 6 5 | | | | 8 7 | | |

--------

There are five wires on the power side of the connector block, which has an offset mating tab position.

They are as follows:

(4) red - continuous 12V supply (5) blue with white stripe - aerial control wire (may not be fitted) (6) yellow - use unknown (may not be fitted) (7) blue - switched 12V power supply (8) black - earth

and are positioned as follows, again looking into the mating side of the radio connector:

|--|

-| |--- | | | | | | | 4 | | | | 6 5 | | | | 8 7 | | |

--------

I find the colour code used on this unit a little unusual, particularly for (7) the switched 12V line, which is red on most other radios I have seen. It can also be identified as being the wire which has the inline fuse in it.

the full mutiway connector looks like this:

|--| |--|

-| |----| |-- | | | | | - - | | | | | - | - - | | | | | - - | - - | | | | | - - | - - | | | |

--------------- power speaker wires wires

Obviously the cars mating connector will be a mirror image of this with female connectors instead of the male spades found on the radio side.

I think it is possible to buy a replacement connector which will mate with your cars multiway one from most car audio shops or possibly halfords.

Hope this helps.

Rob H

Reply to
Rob H

If it is the car's original radio I guess you will also need to get the four digit security code, available from Peugeot on the registration or VIN ... at a price. Cheers, A

Reply to
Wichita

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for coming back to me with the above. Although the connector on my Peugeot 405 is just one connector, your information on the colour coding of the power cables was invaluable. Where you have 8 wires suppying 4 speakers from the back of your radio, I have only 6 wires to my 4 speakers so looks as though further investigation on the car with a multimeter is called for.

Also, I found the code to the radio on a sticker inside the radio so hopefully when I get a bit of time I'll fit it and fingers crossed be able to listen to music or something.