1996 XJ6 Radio Question

I need to put in a new radio as the origional is working less then half the time. Question is is there a wire harness adapter availaible for Jaguar ? Or does someone have the wire color codes as to which wire goes where off the back of the radio. I know they sell the adapters for Ford, GM ect just cant seem to locate one for Jaguar.

1996 XJ6 model Thanks Hank
Reply to
Hank

A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.

In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange program.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

No I was not aware of that however I want to put my JVC in as it plays MP3 cd's which is what I usually only listen to. Since I can no longer use the JVC in my busted up Fiero I figure I should put it in the car I now have to drive plus the Jag's is broken.

Do you have any more details for the exchange program ? Thanks

Reply to
Hank

I have looked almost all over cannot find anything on it I went to Circuit City they do not list Jaguar and I was told my the Gentlemen who claims to be an expert thet Jaguar's have a positive ground system not a negative ground system so the JVC radio would not work any way. He claims that is one of the first things they teach them where he got his schooling. So I drove home in my Grand Marqui and opened the trunk of my Jag and was so suprized to find the ground connected to chasis. How could he be wrong a man of schooling in this field.

SO again any help in finding a wiring diagram of the connector on the back of the radio would be a great help.

Reply to
Hank

Hank; I can only guess what other fields of expertise this gent has! Anyone care to ask his wife? Your car, as well as cats many years older have negative grounds. Please go to a real car stereo store. One that deals only in automobile electronics and maybe one of the most least experienced apprentices' there can help you properly.

Reply to
Jon A

I sent you an zipped electrical PDF only to realize that it was the wrong year! If your mailserver can handle it I will send the one for 1996.

Reply to
davidb

Hank wrote:

Most newer radios use a common color code (see below). I found a couple of diagrams for radios on the internet, which both showed that same color scheme, and I used that to compare to my original 84 XJS radio. My original Jaguar radio had a connector chart pasted on top of the radio (see below). The original Jaguar radio did not accept the vehicle harness directly, but had a pigtailed setup with two male connectors... wires extended from the radio to the connectors, which plugged into two vehicle harnesses. My goal was to have one generic connector so that I could replace the radio with either of two radios I had acquired and wanted to try. So I made an adapter harness for each radio... I purchased two identical generic pairs at an electronics store... I used the female half of one generic 2-part M/F connector and the old male radio connectors to form a short vehicle harness extension (when installed, the single generic female connector now combined and terminated the radio end of both vehicle harnesses). Using the chart from the old radio and the wiring info from the new radio, I soldered the wires from the first "new" radio to a generic male connector. I did the same with the second radio, so that I could plug either radio into the now-extended vehicle harness without disturbing the original Jaguar harness connectors. I could have just made an adapter harness to go from one of the radios to the old radio's male harness connectors. If your vehicle harness(es) plugs directly into the back of the radio, then you'll likely be forced to replace the connector(s) at the end of the vehicle harness(es).

Unfortunately my email isn't working today (my ISP is having difficulties) or I would send you the radio diagrams. Basically the diagrams show:

Red = fused 12v power from the battery (through ignition switch) Black = chassis ground Blue = power antenna yellow = memory backup (12v battery power, not through the ign sw) orange = dash light dimmer

White = left front speaker positive (or left, if 2-speaker system) green/black = left left front negative (or left, if 2-speaker system) white/black = left front speaker negative in 4-speaker system green = left rear speaker positive in 4-speaker system

grey = right front speaker positive (or right, if 2-speaker system) violet/black = right rear negative (or right, if 2-speaker system) grey/black = right front speaker negative in 4-speaker system violet = right rear speaker positive in 4-speaker system

The old 84 XJS radio wires were:

white = power antenna yellow = 12v power ignition-switched (this may have been incorrect on the diagram) red = 12v constant (this may have been incorrect, I remember checking the vehicle harness to see if yellow & red were reversed, I just cannot recall whether they were) blue = dash light dimmer black = chassis ground

brown = rear right white/brown = rear right common red = front right white/red = front right common

orange = front left white/orange = front left common green = rear left white/green = rear left common

Reply to
WayneC

If your mailserver can handle it I will send the one for 1996.

Just a follow-up to this post. Your email address bounced so I assume it is just a spam foiler. Oh well, if you want the 1996 electrical spec book in PDF format provide me with a valid address.

Reply to
davidb

year! If your mailserver can handle it I will send the one for 1996.

just a spam foiler. Oh well, if you want the 1996 electrical spec book in PDF format provide me with a valid address. snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net Thanks

Reply to
Hank

Still no luck getting color code of the wires here is what is on the connector

Pink/Green Pink/Violet Black/White Black/Gray Gray/Pink Green/Vio --------- --------- Gray/Orange Gray/Red Vio/Red --------- Vio/Pink --------- Vio/Orange Green/Black Black Red/Green ---------- ---------- Blue Red/Vio Green/Orange ---------- Brown/Green Brown/Green

Thanks for those of you that responded but it was not the solution. Hank

Reply to
Hank

Found what I needed and more check out this site

Jaguar stereo here

Other stereo's here

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Strange that they don't say what years or models these Jaguar radios are from.

Reply to
WayneC

I had mine out and the second one the back side matches mine exactly. I will be installing with in the next week I hope I will post as to how it went. Hank

Reply to
Hank

Installed the radio today it works great. See attached link to view it installed.

Hank

Reply to
Hank