95 Passat VR6 GTX w AT » Tanny oil very black/burnt

Car has under 105,000 kms or 63,000 mi. At around 60,000 kms, 2 years ago, I did a routine auto trans service where I drained the oil & replaced the filter . Mechanic reported that the oil was quite darkened. We flushed the system completely with 12 litres though. Now recently the mechanic said an error code is coming up, Gear monitoring code, but I can't tell you the actual code number right now. Checked the transmission again & found the oil to be blackened & maybe burnt. No metal filings but there must be problem to cause this. Possibly a slipping clutch plate?

My mechanic said that the transmissions are something he doesn't work on. To complex & very expensive to repair. What I'm looking for is advice.

Anyone else have this type problem? I'm disappointed in that VW couldn't engineer a transmission strong enough for the engine. Has anyone gone back to VW & argued a good will warranty over this issue?

Reply to
Harue Iwashita

Was the proper VW fluid used in the transmission? Regular Dextron, or VW regular or synthetic? How was your transmission flushed?

You might suggest to your mechanic to take the electrical connections off of the transmission, clean them up, tighten them if possible and then use some di-electric silicone grease before replugging them back up.

Not sure why your fluid is turning dark. What would happen if coolant mixed with ATF??

AFAIK Your mechanic can test the transmission electrical connections at the transmission control module with a Volt Ohm Meter, or with the Vag-Com tool from ross-tech.com. I just handled some electrical problems with my auto trans.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Anyone else have this type problem? I'm disappointed in that VW couldn't engineer a transmission strong enough for the engine. Has anyone gone back to VW & argued a good will warranty over this issue?

I see you are unhappy because your trans is messed up. If you are the first owner then it's under warranty for 10years/100,000 miles and you can't ask for amything better than that! And... over the years we replaced very few VR6 Passat units. I do feel sorry for you but trying to get VW to fix it for FREE if out of warranty is only wishful thinking.

Reply to
Woodchuck