VW Golf removing stereo

Hi - Im trying to find out how to remove the factory fitted radio cassette from my VW Golf TDI S reg (98) without totally dimolishing the dash!!

Also, on the speedo dail, where the current 'trip' milage shows...when i start up im getting a display stating 'Service: Insp' - Im assuming this means i need to gt it looked at, just wondered if anyone knows if this is shown for anything specific...of is it shown for a variety of reasons? any advice will be greatly appreciated cheers Andrew

Reply to
andrewsgibbs

You need to go to your local dealer and get the removal keys - they're about 4 quid for the pair and slot into very small holes between buttons on the front of the radio.

If you ask, the parts guy will show you where.

That's for the 'minor' service - essentially oil and filter change. (The 'inspection' bit is to look at the brake pads and other fluid levels and stick on an extra hour's labour....)

I tend to get that done at ATS as they only charge 20 quid for oil and filter, then reset the dash using the procedure in the owner's handbook.

Reply to
SteveH

I have done it with a steak knife getting one side first and then the other. It is a matter of slipping the knife in and then pushing the handle upwards. YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I did eventually get the proper release keys though, but have not needed to try them out yet!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Not sure about European models but there are probably two slots on the radio where you insert two flat blades and that releases the tabs that hold the stereo in and it pulls right now. There are special-shaped tools for this but many times you can make your own.

Just for a maintenance service. My Eurovan (you know it as the Multivan) does this every 7500 miles but I'm not sure if the interval on your Golf is different.

You can reset it yourself (many dealers forget to). Instructions are here:

It's for another VW model but the instructions should work.

Reply to
Matt B.