96 jetta vr6 secondary air injection question

Get VAG 16795 about 20 minutes after reset. Fuse is good with 12vdc to the relay but the pump don't run. . The pump motor checks good but relay 111 (J299) isn't being told to turn on by the ECM or there is a broken wire somewhere between relay pin 86 to the computer or relay pin 85 to "Plus connector (87a)(E7).

  1. Does anyone know what the ECM looks at besides temperature to determine when to energize the relay?

  1. Also Bently says that relay pin 85 goes to "Plus connector (87a) E7, but I can't find where that originates.

Any help would be appreciated.

tia

Reply to
Hal

Get the ross-tech.com vag-com tool and test the system through the diagnostic port.

Take out the relay and jump the correct terminals to see. Test the relay or replace the relay! I have seen bad relays on a couple of VWs.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1