97 Cabrio, 2.0?'s

Bought the wife a 97 Cabrio with the 2.0, automatic. Car has 54K and is in stock trim.

I want to add something, dont know what, to get this car breathing better and thereby running better.

So...

Chips?

Cold Air packages?

Cat-Back systems?

Ignition components?

(I have seen listed on eBay a mod for the coldair sensor that basically entails putting a resistor in the plug. Anyone hear of this and what would that do exactly?>

Suspension mods would be appreciated.

Premium wheels, back spacing to safely fit 17" would be ______...?

Strut braces? Can they be used on this car?

I know this is a lot to ask seeing as I do not contribute anything to this newsgroup, but that is only because:

A) I didn't own a VolksWagon until last wekend

or

B) I didn't own a VolksWagon until last wekend

William of alt.underground, the best spot on the usenet realm.

Reply to
William

A chip will give you a modest boost in apparent power, especially if you go in for spirited driving. Even better if you install a matched pair of new cam and chip.

Don't waste your money. HP gains are slight if at all, and in some cases you get HP losses because the "cold-air" modification actually allows the intake of warmer air than with the stock system. This is essentially a cosmetic mod.

For an otherwise stock engine a free-flowing cat-back ehaust system will give you a little power, but not much. Again, this is mostly a cosmetic (coffee-can tip) and aesthetic (sounds more powerful) mod. If your cat is clogged then that will have to be replaced. Also check the O2 sensor(s).

Only if the current components are worn out or damaged.

This is a bogus mod. It is used to fool the ECU into giving the engine a richer mixture all of the time. Can you say "New catalytic converter"? I knew you could.

Depends on what you want. Neuspeed lowering springs with the Bilsteins that match, or go to a HK coil-over kit. New stock or even polyurethane control arm bushings. New motor mounts. Front and rear anti-sway bars, either new or larger than stock.

With wheels, lighter is better. Lighter is also a good bit more expensive. I don't know what your offset should be, somewhere between

35mm and 47mm I think, but good wheel vendors will know. Hub-centric wheels, of course. If you increase overall tire diameter you will lose some accelleration but gain some top end. You probably don't care about top end speed.

Sure, they make it feel more solid. Upper front is a must. A rear brace might be next.

C) you own a Volkswagen

wes

Reply to
wes schreiner