98 Jetta central locking problem.

Has anybody any experience with the following scenario?

My power locks recently began to work incorrectly, as follows:

The switch on the dash correctly locks and unlocks all of the doors.

The key fob unlock button correctly unlocks the doors, but the key fob lock button will not lock the doors, although the alarm system DOES get armed by the key fob lock button.

The fuse on the circuit has also blown once since this started happening. I have replaced it and it hasn't re-blown yet.

I do have an aftermarket remote start unit that installed which also activated the lock function, which might have some effect...

I'll be very grateful if anybody can provide any insight as to why this may be happening, and perhaps what component in the central locking system might be suspect.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
AndrewJ

start by looking for broken wires in all the door jam harnesses.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for the tip! I'll do that this weekend.

Reply to
AndrewJ

I found some bare wires in the driver's door jamb and repaired them. I still have the same incorrect functioning. Is there a module that may have become damaged due to a short in the door, and if so what module should I be looking at?

Reply to
AndrewJ

The vacumm pump in the trunk has the module included. I bought one on ebay for US$50 or so when the same thing happened to me.

Reply to
Eduardo K.