99.5 Jetta TDI won't start

Recently my 99.5 Jetta TDI has been having a hard time starting. It starts just fine when it is cool however, if I am driving to several places and when I get to each destination I turn the engine off for periods of 5- 10 minutes, eventually it won't start. The engine will turn over, but doesn't seem to catch. If I let it sit for another 10 minutes it will start. After it started acting up the first time, I replaced the fuel filter and pulled off the fuel shut off valve to see if it was working (it was) but it still continues to do the same thing. Once it wouldn't start so after about 15 min, I was able to get it to start, and a quarter mile down the road at a stop sign, it died once again. I walked home and picked up the car about 30 minutes later and presto, it fired up and I drove it home. When it is running, it runs fine. Has anyone else had an experience like that? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? My wife is planing on taking the car on a trip this saturday but I don't want it to leave her stranded somewhere. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Sounds like it might be the "old relay 109" problem. Do a Google search on "vw tdi relay 109" and you'll get lots of hits.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Almost a sure bet on relay 109. My 99.5 did that exact thing a few years ago. If you want to tell for sure, measure the voltage on the stop solenoid on the injection pump. It should be 12V with the key on. No voltage means bad solenoid. They're a dealer item, $20-$30. Original ones had a black cover and replacements are gray. My replacement was also black but made differently from the original one. So there's at least three vendors of the part.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Thanks for the info. I'll pick one up and put it in.

Reply to
Dave

I had the same problem on my '99.5. Turned out to be a battery on its last legs. How old is yours?

sd

Reply to
sd

Speaking of which, I have a 2003 Jetta TDI and am wondering how long the battery is good for. I live in Missouri.

Numan

Reply to
Numan

Reply to