Help! Turbo cuts out on 99 Jetta TDI

The car is an early 99 Jetta TDI 5 speed standard with 225,000 km on a

1.9 1Z engine. Works great until cruising up a steep hill, and the turbo seems to cut out completely.

Back on the level, there is apparently no turbo assist until the engine is shut down and restarted. It then works normally until trying the hill again.

The intake system and intercooler have just recently been cleaned of carbon and guck - and there was a lot in there.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jack

How the hell can anyone "cruise" up a steep hill is what I would like to know? Trade it in for Jeep CJ. YJ or TJ and the you can climb that hill!!! :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

It's going into limp mode because of an engine management problem. There will be codes logged in the ECU that can help diagnose the problem. Do a search here :

for more info.

Reply to
Alec

Thanks, Alec.

Jack

Alec wrote:

Reply to
Jack

update: I put a can of TECHRON in the tank and administered SEAFOAM via a vacuum line. "Fritz" is running much better now! df

----- Original Message ----- From: "DF at Home" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:56 AM Subject: 89 Jetta GLi 16 V with a ...

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.