A1 leaking valve cover

Anyone have ideas on how to stop this?

So far I've: Adjusted the valves, put in a new gasket, took off the cover and put sealer on the gasket.

If anything it now leaks worse.

Reply to
patrick.cassady

Do the valve cover studs have a shoulder on them? Different gaskets and the studs have to be fully seated! AFAIK You can use a later model A3 Jetta 2.0 8V valve cover that is one piece, rubber and reinforced if your studs don't have shoulders. Did you straighten out the bolt holes in the cover? Probably the problem!! Did you remove ALL of the old gasket? Possibly the problem Did you make sure that the PCV vent is clear? I have seen several that were clogged with oil residue and I am thinking that the blowby might be trying to push oil even out of your new gasket. Just a thought.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Sometimes people tighten the cover down too much and it actually ruins the cover.

It flattens it out so it never fits properly again.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

If you're still using the old cork gasket, switch to the newer style neoprene gasket. My cork gaskets used to leak all the time, but I've never had a leak with the neoprene.

However, you will probably need to change the studs on your cylinder head. It has been several years since I made the conversion, but I think the originals had a flange, and you need to install straight studs without the flange. You can use a pair of vice grips if you don't care about destroying the old studs, or just thread on a couple of nuts and tighten them together then put a wrench on the bottom nut to unscrew the stud.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband