A2 16V will not start.

I needed a track car for a DE even (free track time!) last weekend, so I cleaned up my '87 GLI 16V, changed the fuel to fresh, and removed everything that wasn't essential and had not already been taken out. The car had not been driven in 18 months, and then only infrequently, so my expectations weren't high. Anyway, I ran it hard for 3 20-minute sessions, and it did surprisingly well. It did get hot toward the end of each, so I came in a little early each time. Last session it developed a stumble then a dead miss coming out of a long fast left-hander, so I pulled into the pit lane. Before I was back to the trailer, it cleared up. Next morning I got in to go out for the first session and it would not stay running. It would fire, but immediately die. So I called it done and pushed it into the trailer. I'll be taking a look at it this weekend, By which time I'd like to have a game plan. I'd appreciate any suggestions that would help me get it running. Here's a couple of points:

- Engine is bone stock

- All plugs were clean, with neither oil or fuel fouling. #3 discolored on one side of the ceramic a little more than the others, but no buildup.

- I did not check for spark before putting it away.

-After each session oil dripped from the airbox. I presume the breather hose by the oil filter is the pathway. How to address this? Catchtank and accept it?

I know that's not enough information to diagnose it, but I bet some of you have had the same symptoms. I'd like to know what it was in your case.

Thanks for the help

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

To be more accurate............It does start but does not stay running! It could be fuel pump relay, or what I really think it is is the intake manifold boot or a big vacuum leak. You have to listen to the fuel pump and it's relay. You can hear them operate, buzz and click, after you release the ign key. It could also be the ign switch.

Have fun!

dave

Yeah, that's what I meant :)

||It could be fuel pump relay, or what I really think it is is the intake ||manifold boot or a big vacuum leak.

I looked the boot over pretty well, nothing seemed amiss.

||You have to listen to the fuel pump and it's relay. You can hear them operate, ||buzz and click, after you release the ign key.

I'm familiar with that, but I don't think I listed for it.

||It could also be the ign switch.

That's new, or at least very low mileage.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start there. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B