Radiator Flush?

Allo!

Rad flushs - are they a good idea or bad? I have never done one in my Passat (92) - what are the pros and cons. Is it a scam?

Also, my Passat in the summer the temperature gauges moves to about

110-115C during the summer at stop after some driving. On the road, when the air is flowing - it moves to around 70-80C.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Tmuld.

Reply to
Tavish Muldoon

Your first reference to what should be done as maintenance on your car should be your owner's manual. There I believe you will find that radiator flushes are recommended every two years. The coolant does several things. Protecting the engine and radiator is one thing it should do and the chemicals that do it wear out in time and use. When replacing the fluid it is good to flush to remove and sediment that may be there.

Note: this is not the same as some of those supper power flush things that run several hundred dollars or the acid bath used to try and clean the radiator. The first is likely never needed and the second only when needed.

This sounds a little high and low, but how are you measuring it? Most standard in car gauges are well known for the lack of accuracy. What temperature thermostat do you have in it? How old is it? Does the fan kick in when hot?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

||Allo! || ||Rad flushs - are they a good idea or bad? I have never done one in my ||Passat (92) - what are the pros and cons. Is it a scam?

They work by dissolving the alkaline depostis and greasy scum that accumulates over time. I like Permatex HD Cooling System cleanser, along with a reverse flush kit.

||Also, my Passat in the summer the temperature gauges moves to about ||110-115C during the summer at stop after some driving. On the road, ||when the air is flowing - it moves to around 70-80C.

Typical of an inefficient cooling system. try the flush.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Is the fan running at high speed when the water is that hot ? Rgsds Alec

Reply to
Alec