A2 Diesel Timing Belt-Aligning Marks

When I try to align crank, cam and fuel pump I can never get the marks perfectly aligned. With the cam and fuel pump locked I end up being just before or after TDC on the crank. It seems its either 1/2 tooth before or after. I've read the warnings against being even 1 tooth off, so this makes me nervous. Is there a remedy or do I live with the misalignment? If so, which would be better before or after TDC?

One other question - when I tighten the tensioner, I should be rotating it clockwise as viewed from the front (passenger side) of the engine, correct?

thanks all, doug

Reply to
Douglas k Brown