A2 distributor cap question...

Just curious, but maybe someone has an insightful answer...

My '87 Golf GL has the wrong distributor cap. As far as I can tell, it should have the one with pin-type connections, but instead it has the one without. The wires are different as well. According to parts catalogs, the cap I have (1 235 522 056) came on some Sciroccos and possibly other VWs.

Apparently, the previous owner made the switch and I have kept with it because everything is quite a bit cheaper this way. I'm wondering though, why would you change (other than cost)? Is there a performance or reliability advantage to having pins or not having pins?

Thanks,

Jason

BTW, if anyone was curious about my dead battery situation from last week, the battery was bad as well. All is good now.

Reply to
Jason Faas

Hmmm I wonder what your ign. coil looks like? Does it have the pin in the middle? And are those Bosch spark plug wires? They can usually go for either system, or at least they used to.

As you see it works! ;-) I like the pins! AFAIK I believe it makes for a tighter electrical connection, less resistance and more fire power at the plugs. But whatever floats your boat or lights your fire. hahaha later, dave

Reply to
Dave

I think that my coil does have a pin, but I'd have to go look to be sure. The wires are certainly Bosch, but they have 'standard' ends on them, not the ones for pins. As you say "it works", the engine runs great. Maybe I'll switch it over some day and see if there's an impact on power or mileage...

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas