A2 ignition switch problems

Are these switches known to crap out or is is it the actual cylinder. Everyone was talking of starters being a no start problem after driving in heat. I have since discovered my problem is the ignition switch. After around 30 starts the car won't turn over. I have to get out and jump the solenoid to power. I'm wondering, can the switch be repaired or is it better to replace it with a new one $$$.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

I don't know what's expected re: lifespan, but I replaced my ignition switch while hunting down no-start problems and it's not that big a deal ('86 GTi, other models may vary).

Reply to
Giambi

I've had that problem but it's really an issue with a weak battery being unable to turn the starter when warm. New battery = no more problem.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks for the replies. New battery, new starter, good grounds, I;m positive it's a bad switch. As long as it's cheap to replace I;m going to do it. My fear with these VW's is that I will get to the dealer for the part and end up spending $200 on a switch.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

I guess one could take the electrical part of the ignition switch apart, but why bother since they don't cost that much. I've got details on doing the swap here:

You may want to double check your battery cables and make sure the clamps and contact points are clean. The ground cable is known for getting crude where it grounds to the body and can cause issues. All cable contact points should be clean and shiny (wire brush 'em). That could be the cause of your problem.

Later.

Pencilneck blah blah blah

Reply to
Pencilneck

Have no fear! I put one on my 96 passat tdi at 90k miles. Got it at a local import car parts place. Around $16. The dealer may be highten (will be?). I also took the old one ppart to see what was in there, almost like a watch!!

Joe

Reply to
Joe R