a3 jetta - turns but doesn't catch, but now dead...

hi, here is the problem. my 94 jetta always had troubles with cold starts. two days ago, i had the most trouble starting it. i turned it for approximately 10 min. off and on before it finally started. it sputtered three time before it finally caught.

now, last night, i was having the same problem... so i just trusted my new battery to get her started. after like 10 minutes of on again, off again turning on my part, it stopped turning over. argh. it does push start, however.

did i fry my starter? (if so, is that a hard job to do?) i've had a similar problem before, where my car was turning over, but it wouldn't catch. that turned out to be a computer chip problem... i know the fuel pump is fine, because i hear the quick whining noise when i turn the car on.

any help is greatly appreciated.

jun

Reply to
golgo13

could be a problem with the Coolant Temperature Sensor but the engine stills needs to crank well. or it could be a problem with the ign coil being weak

has the engine been tuned recently?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1