idle vehicle won't start

I have a scirocco that's been sitting for awhile, like a year maybe a bit more, and it won't start. It started fine last time I tried to start it. I'm wondering what I could do to encourage it along. I've replaced the coolant and the oil. I also added some octane booster gas treatment to it. The starter was only 4 months old when it started to sit and worked great then. Now it makes a click and I can feel it in the starter. It also made kind of a fast clicking sound for a couple of cranks. I tried jumping it as well with my truck revved but it didn't help either. Any insight would be great,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

Charge the battery.

and it won't start. It started fine last time I

treatment to it. The starter was only 4 months old

feel it in the starter. It also made kind of a fast

truck revved but it didn't help either.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Check all your battery cables for corrosion and make sure they're tight. Then find the lifetime warranty for your rebuilt starter!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Cars use power even when not running. Leaving a car sit for a long time without disconnecting the battery is likely to discharge the battery and what you are describing indicates a discharged battery. Try recharging the battery, it may take a while. You may also need a new battery as batteries don't like to be discharged.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Your battery, not surprisingly, is down, plus your jump-start cables were either not hooked up correctly (be careful - incorrectly connected jumper cables can cause a battery explosion) or were not making good contact.

Reply to
Papa

You should also check the fluid level in your battery. If it is low, add water (preferably distilled) - but be careful to not overfill because that will cause the battery to boil over.

Reply to
Papa

What he said. Also, a little solar cell on the dashboard, plugged into the cigarette lighter is great for cars that are parked for a long time. The solar cell doesn't make much electricity, but it's just enough to keep the battery from discharging and sulfating.

Reply to
tylernt

I know the battery is shot but the last time I was able to jump it off of my other vehicle and have it run. I'm going to pick up a new battery for it and maybe that will help but I'm skeptical. I'm going to have to look around for that starter receipt. Thanks,

-Andrew

P.S. I've jumped many a car so I'm darn sure it's something else

Reply to
DruG

Did you hook your jumper negative cable clamp to the battery or to the engine block (better). Your negative ground cable could be corroded at the block, has happened here. Did your alternator have a separate grounding strap? This would be especially necessary if it was mounted on a separate bracket for the air conditioner, etc. Some alternators can be buned out by not having a good ground. Has happened here. 0.02! Good luck Rich

Reply to
Rich

If jump starting a car incorrectly, the battery can explode or damage the electrical system, not to mention serious injuries can be incurred by people nearby. So, In the interest of safety, and for the benefit of anyone reading this thread, there is a very good description of how to correctly and safely jump start a vehicle at

This description includes photographs and also includes warnings about when you should NOT jump start a car.

Reply to
Papa