Advice needed ASAP about purchase of Jetta

Ok here is my dilema... I need a new diesel. My current one well lets just say is out of action for a while...Now today Wednesday (9/1/04) I test drove a 1998 VW Jetta TDI. The car was very clean, nice green paint, engine seemed strong with 56,000 miles the only thing I could see that was wrong was it had the smallest oil leak coming from the bottom or what appeared to be the bottom of the engine. The dealer said he wanted $8,000.00 firm, no haggleing the price at all. Car located in Middleton MA A second car I drove was a 2000 VW Jetta TDI GLS with 78,000 miles. When I test drove it, the wheels seemed to make noise which the dealer said that all four wheels will be replaced, the Air bag light stayed on as well as the check engine light and I noticed that 15 minutes into the test ride the glow plug light came on. Other then that the 2000 seemed ok. It was silver with black interior. The 2000 comes with a 90 day powertrain only warranty from the dealership and that is it. I was told if I wanted an extra warrany i would need to purchase one from the internet. They want $9730.00 for the car down from $11,000. Car located in Manchester NH

So my questions are do these sound like good deals, which is better and where can I find a good warranty.What would you do in this case? If you have any other questions with answers please let me know or if you have any advice i should need please please let me know!!!

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com if you can please try to reply to my email...Thank you!!

Reply to
AlanH70

Rob Guenther

I have to agree with Rob. Price out the components that might need to be replaced to get the airbag system fixed. The dealer has a computer to read what the car's computers think is wrong. You could easily spend a few thousand dollars fixing the newer car.

How about gett>The 2000 seems like it has issues, check engine, airbag and glow plug lights

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Reply to
Rob Guenther

no haggleing & purchase one from the internet = stay away from that place!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Airbag, check-engine, and glow plug lights likely indicate expensive problems (though the glow plug light may just be due to the recalled brake light switch).

Remember also that 80,000 miles is a major scheduled maintenance interval (and a timing belt change if the car has an automatic transmission). Of course, if the car has no reliable service records, you'd have to do those things (and a brake fluid change) anyway as "catch up" maintenance. If you pay mechanics to do these things, it can be expensive.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Make sure that the lights turn on briefly during startup, then go out, after the fix. An unscrupulous seller may "fix" the dash warning lights by disconnecting them.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee