resetting codes 2001 Jetta TDI

How does one reset the computer error codes on a 01 Jetta with the TDI. I am a newbie with VW cars. Can I just disconect and re conect the battery ?

I ran the car with the MAF sensor unplugged to determin if it was bad and it was. When I replaced it with a new one the check engine light still remains on.

Reply to
Mike

NO, and if that was the fix it will go out within a week.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Disconnecting the battery may just put even more DTCs into varios systems (low voltage type faults). If you want to clear the faults yourself, then you should yourself a VAG COM setup from Ross Tech.

I've been using the VAG COM software for a few years now and love it, don't even bother to use VW's official scan tools, the 5051 (brick on cart) and 5052 (brick on 20ft leash).

Pencilneck blah blah blah

Reply to
Pencilneck

I replaced my MAF a few weeks ago. It took a few days for the light to go out. Apparently, the "all OK" codes have to accumulate and push the "something's F'ed up" codes out of the queue or somesuch thing.

...Sean.

Reply to
Sean

Out of curiosity, what was the car doing to make you believe your MAF was bad?

Bob

--------

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Bob Navarro

One of the easiest tests to see if a MAF is faulty is to disconnect it. If performance is better without it, then the MAF is faulty.

Reply to
Ernest

I had the "no power" problem a while back. It's most likely the maf but they don't normally give a cel, just poor preformance at about 3k and up. IMPEX has a Peiterberg brand maf from a MB that fits for $100 free shipping. Very close to original. However if your "chipped" you could get cel's.

Check

Joe

Reply to
Joe R