Airbag Questions

I am piecing back my 99 Bug back from its wreck. Im planning to use it as a extra car. If I do not hook back the air bags anything I need to know? besides I have a wreck it will be a hard hit??

Can I get a cover for the steering wheel to replace? It has of course split open. If you have any Ideals fill me in. Tks

Reply to
David McGough

Few things....

1 - The airbag light will be on, always.

2 - The airbag control module is a single use item, once airbag(s) have been deployed, it must be replaced.

3 - Seatbelts are tied into the airbag system, and will need to be replaced as well as spent airbags.

4 - Removing the airbag in the steering wheel is easy/hard. One never knows. Contact me if you need help with it.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Just ask yourself... do I want to have friends in this car and have an accident!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Your insurance company probably will not be happy with you if you're driving a vehicle that no longer meets proper federal safety standards and have another accident. Wouldn't surprise me if when you do have another accident if they might refuse to pay out any claims. I know you probably aren't too concerned with the car's value as property at this point because of the way you are putting back together, but if you have an accident and suffer injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company fights you on it.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
David McGough