Are the New Jettas Selling?

I'm thinking about getting one but the price tag is way too high. They've made the economical Jetta basically into the Passat and made the Passat a luxury car. I don't think most people see VW's as luxury cars. Plus their TV ad campaign completely sucks. No one buys a car for the air bags. Drove to one dealer yesterday and he had a glut of new Jettas just sitting there.

Reply to
grifty

Basil

VW is building an inventory of Diesel Jetta's because they do not meet the new emission standards of Jan 1, 2007. The new diesel jetta and passat that meet emission standards is suppose to be out in 2008 ?

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I think they're selling, just not to the same market as the old ones did. I think they've pushed the Passat into the Audi/BMW crowd, and the Jetta into the Passat crowd.

The new GTI's seem to be selling really well despite the price, so I suspect the new Rabbits will get the people put off by the Jettas going even further upmarket. We still need the Polo sedan in the US, though, because some people just won't do a hatchback for whatever reason. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the Jetta crowd that VW turned their back on went out and got Mazda 3's and Scions, which are aimed squarely at that market. They'd certainly be on my list if I was in the market today, along with the new Rabbit. It would come down to price vs. features vs. gas mileage. I hope to get at least 3 more years out of my 2000 Jetta though, for now.

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust

Reply to
Regal53

So you will at last allso get the 2.0 TDI with particle filter overthere?

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Lynn McGuire) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

What? Why would they be "building an inventory" of vehicles they can't sell?

Or did you mean something else?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

So what does that mean?

Reply to
mike_z

They are selling the diesels like crazy. They are stocking extra diesels so the dealers have some to sell in 2007 until the new particulate trap engines show up.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I would agree that the target customer for the Jetta has shifted to an older demographic. Many twentysomethings were put off by not only the increased price, but the styling as well. I personally like the styling, but I'm 46, too.... The Jetta has been VW's bestseller for a long time, and while the Jetta V is doing fairly well, it has not created the sensation that the Jetta IV did. As a VW guy, I was ecstatic to see that sales in the US were finally coming out of the 4-year slump, but I fear that they may have already peaked. The gain over 2005, which was a dismal year to begin with,is gradually shrinking, and we're not even halfway through 2006 yet. If they start tanking again in 2007,or worse yet, later this year,this could spell disaster for VWoA. I'm very hopeful that going back to the Rabbit nameplate will rekindle nostalgia as the New Beetle did a few years ago. And, yes, I agree that we need the Polo here. With gas prices as they are, VW needs to get a piece of the action that cars like the Accent, Aveo, Aerio, Yaris, etc. already enjoy.

Reply to
Sills

re: "and while the Jetta V is doing fairly well, it has not created the sensation that the Jetta IV did."

The new "Safe Happens" TV commercials for the Jetta have increased inquiries to dealers by 30% according to a news blurb I read. Don't know how that translates into sales. Time will tell. I'm holding out for the new Rabbit.

Reply to
jpmccormac

I am currently inquiring about a 2006 Jetta TDI at my local dealer... The salesman is rather emphatic that the dealership is not going to be letting any of the TDIs go for invoice... I figure $800 in dealer holdback is enough for them, so I walked... They are insisting that the vehicles go for MSRP or maybe MSRP minus $300... I'm going to be driving from Houston to southern Florida later this month, so it's not like there is a lack of dealerships that would be convenient for me... Hell, the car's are made in Mexico, so there shouldn't be a shortage of them...

Reply to
Grumman-581

a word of wisdom: if you want a tdi, you make your best deal with a dealer willing to sell the car at msrp and be glad you acted immediately and got a car...every day that goes by, is a day that others did the above and have theirs....currently, the demand far exceeds the supply and it will get worse before it gets better.

regards

Grumman-581 wrote:

Reply to
euro930

Well, the local dealer has quite a few just sitting on their lot, so at least around here, the supply is greater than the demand... The

*most* I've ever paid on a vehicle is $200 over invoice... Usually it's $100 over invoice or less... Probably the best I ever got was 1% below invoice plus all the dealer and manufacturer rebates... If the dealer is not willing to do it, no big deal -- I walk... Hell, I've got 4 vehicles and only 2 drivers... It's not like I *have* to have another vehicle...
Reply to
Grumman-581

i mis understood...i thought you said you wanted a tdi.....if you don't want to purchase one, then by all means just delay...delay...delay....only those who really want to own or lease a tdi should follow my suggestions.....just know that there will be no

07s....of any kind and the word is just getting out among the public....believe me,the dealers know it now and some are adding "limited availability" addendums to the vehicle of 2,000 dollars USA! there will be no left over tdi models as the days go by.......and word begins to get around to the general public.

regards

Grumman-581 wrote:

Reply to
euro930

Yeah, I want one, but I don't *have* to have one... I can wait... Until the 2008 models if necessary... If they are willing to make a deal, I'll buy right now... I don't play the haggling game... I already know the price I'm willing to pay... No negotiation... It can be quick and easy or they can let the car gather dust on their lot...

One dealer offered me $500 over invoice for a demo Package 2 model that had 2300 miles on it... I'm not budging...

Reply to
grumman581

i'd bet you're not getting one 'til 08!

regards

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
euro930

A Package 2 TDI is $26,795 MSRP and $25,213 invoice, a $1,582 difference... This is on top of the $803.95 dealer holdback for this model... This is just a Package 2, without floor mats and other such stuff... Personally, I think the $803.95 is enough profit for them...

Reply to
Grumman-581

your information is incorrect;and not by a few dollars either!

regards

Grumman-581 wrote:

Reply to
euro930

It was via Edmunds and KBB was basically the same, IIRC...

Reply to
Grumman-581