07 Passat Wagon

Anybody have experience in how much a VW dealer will take over invoice price? Will it likely be a hard bargain on a new model like this?

I've purchased a jeep & an Isuzu for $500-600 over invoice in the past, wondering what sort of battle I am in for from the salesman. What's the realistic sale price of a 2.0T Passat Wagon stickered around $28k?

thanks in advance Steve

Reply to
steven_finnerty

IMO the new Jetta and Passats are way overpriced. They aren't moving off the lots. Plus their ad campaign sucks. No one buys a car for the air bags. I would explain this to the dealer and have him sell to you below their invoice.

Reply to
grifty

I got a 2007 Passat Wagon Value Edition in May. Totally option-less, but still a nice car. I used a spreadsheet from carbuyingtips.com to develop my offer price, searched (via website) about 15 VW dealers that were within an hours drive from home for the car we wanted, and made my offer via email.

The only thing that needed to be done in person was negotiations for my trade-in. I had to twist their arm a little to get to my bare minimum trade-in value (they came back $200 less than what I would accept).

The selling price was $500 below the "sale" price that they had on the car, $24,800 vs. $24,300(my offer)., so I left there thinking that I got a fair deal. My offer had destination charge, 2% dealer holdback, and 5% profit for the dealer built in. Sticker on this car was $25,855. It probably helped that we were shopping on the last day of the month too.

So far, we really like the car. it would be nice if it had a built in iPod adapter though. I would gladly trade the iPod adapter for the air-conditioned glove-compartment.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Finnerty