98 Jetta wont start!

Hi All,

I have a 5 speed 98 Jetta GT (2.0) that wont start. There is power but the engine is not turning over. When I push in the clutch to start it there isn't even a clicking noise from the starter. I'm thinking it might be the safety switch not working when the clutch is pushed in. Can someone tell me the best way to check it or other pass on other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Get yourself a test light first.

then check for voltage at the starter red/black wire while holding the key in start mode. If it lights, then the starter is faulty. If not then check the ignition switch once the covers are removed. Same color of wire and same size(diameter).

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Do the lights dim when you turn the key?

Hear any clicking or other noises when you turn the key?

Headlights come on brightly or just dim?

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Mine just did the same thing! Turned out to be the ignition.

John

Tom wrote:

Reply to
johnb

Thanks all who responded. It turned out to be the starter.

Tom

Reply to
Tom